Facebook

Monday, May 16, 2011

Bostera: female follower and fan of Boca Juniors soccer team


Most soccer fans are born to be followers of their father’s favorite team.
If you were born a girl, then your team of choice will be bestowed upon you, without conflict nor expected revelry.
You had the obligation to be a proud admirer of that unknown team that you neither learned to love nor impressed you with their winning strikes; rather by what your father thought was the best team that you could possibly be an aficionada of.
I was born a rebel and it was imparted, upon my birth, the admiration towards Independiente, an Argentinean team winner of seven Libertadores Cups, three of which, were consecutive victories. This achievement was enough for my father’s standards, but me, being an insurgent, decided that other options were better suited for my soccer criteria.
When I turned sixteen, at the prime of my rebellion, our father decided to take my family and I to Independiente’s soccer stadium for an out–of-season friendly match.
Our opponent was Boca Juniors, one of the most successful clubs in Argentina and in the world, having won 41 official titles at the national and international level.
Boca was playing with their substitute team so it was a safe bet for Independiente; hence, the interest of my father to make us witnesses of a predicted blood-bath for Boca, and finally convert us to his team.
Our seats were located just across Boca’s supporters and I was mesmerized by the enthusiasm of their songs and surprised that just in the middle of it all, there was an empty space, unoccupied and waiting to be claimed.
Independiente’s side was full, complete; however, Boca was waiting for their honor guest: La Doce, the team’s barra brava and most fervent supporter.
Minutes before the game, a commotion started across the field and I had premium seats for the development: La Doce begun to climb the stairs towards their seats, while singing and waving their team’s flag, declaring its rightful place on Independiente’s soccer stadium.
A proud and fearless supporter; tireless on the task to overwhelm their rivals with melodic weapons.
That night, Independiente lost 3-1 against Boca’s substitute team.
La Doce never stopped chanting and undulating their flag, even when Independiente scored his first (and only) goal.
La Doce vibrated harder and stronger than Independiente’s supporting public. I had goose bumps the whole duration of the game.
My twin sister and I became proud followers of Boca Juniors.
I don’t have a clue where they’re in the soccer charts, if they’re winning or loosing, which players its team has, if they changed the coach or attire, but of one thing I’m completely sure: La Doce is surely rocking the stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment