Facebook

Friday, July 30, 2010

Deodorants that smell like Drain makes me Dizzy

I have this vivid memory, of a family trip to Brazil, when my sisters and I were very little and we loved small rubber toy ponies with dyed hair the color of strawberry and smelling of tutti-frutti.
We used to fight to get the opportunity to hold the most beautiful one; squeeze it against our small chests and try to impose a hateful glare to your sisters, who were trying, just as hard, to snatch it from you.
In this journey, I remember we traveled in my mom’s yellow Peugeot 504, an ’84 model that lasted almost 15 years in the family until its engine gave out after a flood in Buenos Aires.
We used to travel in the backseat (as proper children must do), and try to come out with entertaining activities that always ended in huge fights over the poor little toy pony.
In that particular trip, I understood that while going in a sinuous road you can’t be doing anything else than concentrating not to throw-up; I learned that I could no longer sustain the smell of tutti-frutti (doesn’t matter the appealing appearance of the toy) and most importantly, I realized that for as long as I should live, I would need to sit in the front seat of a car or drive; if I didn’t want to experience that sinuous road all over again.
With that in mind:
My husband and I are really picky with deodorants.
I hate fruity smelly body products, I cannot wear a perfume for more than 2 hours (baby colognes are better tolerated) and he’s always looking for the last innovation in odour control, because he definitely hates the smell of plain and simple sweaty skin.
So I shop around pharmacies scouting for new items all the time, and last night, I found a ‘clinical strength’ deodorant with a ‘light’ fresh scent (that was what the label said).
I bought it right away to try it (I’m one to think that we should change shampoos and deodorants every moth) but since I’m kind of a coward, I put in on my husband’s side to receive his feedback after the use.
We awoke this morning and I ask about the new and improved (with ‘clinical strength’) deodorant and he makes a face (like when you smell baby poop for the first time) and tells me that it had a strange fragrance, one he didn’t particularly liked.
In equal measures, I’m a coward and headstrong, so disregarding that comment as a ‘too picky’ for comfort, I decided to try the deodorant myself.
Huge mistake!
While driving from my house to the office I perceived a headache building up at the back of my head, I started to notice the slightest smell of strawberries, mixed with chewing gum and apples, my stomach started growling (and not from hunger), my eyes started to dance inside their sockets and all the awful memories of my trip to Brazil with my toy baby pony came rushing back at me.
I hate to tell you that I’m sticking to Baby powder as deodorant, and as soon as I get home I’ll throw the ‘clinical strength’ down the garbage chute.
I cannot stand my armpits, smelling sooooo fruity!! And I don’t know how I’m going to drive the way back home with that awful smell inside the car… 40 degrees outside and I’ll have to ride with my windows down.

No comments:

Post a Comment