Facebook

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Polo injuries: an elite game for a lousy player

After a peaceful and relaxed time alone with my hubby, we headed back to my father’s country house to spend New Year’s Eve with the family.
The assortments of activities that you have to endure, while being my father’s daughter, are numerous and risky… "NO" it’s not an option, because for him, his first three daughters are in fact, his high-endurance, super-power, always willing three first children. It doesn’t matter the long hair, manicured nails, waxed legs and feminine manners; no sire! (Sagittarius guys are a pain in the butt, no offense to my future brother-in-law).
So in the particular day of the end of the year and the starting of a new decade, at 8 pm, with a temperature of 32º C (90º F), which felt like a furnace, and a humidity of 99.9% (my recent sleeky hair was a mess, a smoothing product can take so much… do you hear the irony?) I was up in a horse, with a taco (or polo mallet) and a helmet running around chasing a small white ball in the field playing Polo (or attempting to play).
We looked like stupid (definitely unintelligent) people being led by completely clever, bright beasts… they wanted to run to the fence and get out of there! (Why didn’t I listen?)
So after exactly four minutes and five seconds, in a slow-motion play, where I was almost hitting the ball in the right place for a change (almost being the key word in this sentence), the smart horse grasped his chance to escape and while I was aiming my body in the direction of the ball, he was aiming his body for the door… needless to say that I ended butt-first in the lawn (in a frozen portrait you could see my “F…” face, the potent angry one) with a hoof tattooed on my back and a acute pain in my coccyx.
The last day of the year, I spend it laying in a mattress on the floor, with twenty-three pillows, two blankets, drugged with analgesics and the awful realization that:
I HAVE TO LEARN TO SAY NO!!
Damn this italian heritage of wanting to be an almighty woman, when in fact I'm an adult latino female with a superiority complex and a damaged butt... So long comfy seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment