Facebook

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Home alone… well, not entirely alone, considering our neighbor (aunt M.) and Buono (my dog)

Last week, my husband had to travel to the Dominican Republic for a family matter. It was a last minute decision, so I stayed home while he went there to accompany his relatives.
The best thing to have the house all by yourself is that you don’t have to lower the toilet seat every time you go to the bathroom, you have the TV remote all to yourself (so long to fighting games, winter Olympics, the news, action movies), cooking is out of the question and best of all, you get to sleep late because you don’t have to wake up at 7 am when your husband goes to work everyday (this is only for unemployed wives, as me).
I was looking forward to five days of tranquility and relaxed time… reading is my hobby (or obsession, my friends would say) and I had some pretty interesting subjects to start with.
Buono is a fine companion for these situations, he doesn’t bark (strange quality in a dog), he only eats, drinks his water and visits the balcony twice a day…
Aunt M. is the only member of our families that lives in NYC and we share this routine of getting together over coffee every afternoon.
So my to-do-list wasn’t bursting with events… five days weren’t that bad… were they?
My only problem was that hours on end I spent it home alone, reading or job hunting (searching is too-soft a word for my aggressive application process) or cooking… so I started to really miss my husband’s company.
Well, not all the time… having the TV remote at my command was a good thing… and sleeping late wasn’t that bad… but, by day two I was fed up with being by myself.
After some crouching and whining I decided that comfort food was all I needed; but then I remember this stupid gall-bladder diet!!
So I headed for the supermarket, scouted the Ice Creams section and had to settle for a Fat Free Sorbet... fruity flavor, of course… it’s too much to ask for the Ice Cream makers to develop a Chocolate sorbet??? Where is the "cream" in Sorbet??.. There were supposed to be called: "Ice Fruity flavors, nothing like Ice Cream"
P.L.E.A.S.E! I’m being punished for something… I know it!
Luckily, I got the opportunity to get together with my friends and go to NJ where we had lunch, talked endless hours about us, our husbands, their problems (we are too perfect to be criticized), Yoga lessons (no matter how my girlfriends sold this one to me, I’m not buying it that it’s even an exercise) and of course, recipes.
My husband came home, tired out of his wits and missing me like crazy… it’s nice to know that he was suffering as much as I do while we were apart; even thou he was in a tropical weather, and I was freezing my butt off in a glacial climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment