Facebook

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow, blizzard, white rain, whiteout, flurry… different ways to describe the scenery

Tuesday arrived with a blizzard warning that closed the schools, cleaned the streets from people and crammed the supermarkets with crazy shoppers, supplying their refrigerators for any unexpected event.
By 5 pm, snow had slowed the line of cars to a crawl and our lovely grayed colored city, became a wedding cake in a matter of hours.
As a Latino woman, you can imagine that the thought of going out to the street didn’t even cross my mind; warmer climates are much more appealing.
I stood in front of our balcony window and watched in amazement the incredible process of the city being veiled by a white coat.
After four hours, my amazement became a tedious wait for the white thing to stop pouring from the sky; I mean how much water the clouds can hold!! Stop it already!!
Buono, my dog, was really excited to be let outside and walk the balcony from side to side, stepping every inch of the snowed floor. I don’t know what is with dogs and the white thing, they love it!
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful sight to have the opportunity to witness Manhattan covered in snow; but you’re not expecting to be all day inside doors, dying of boredom, waiting for a clear sky to finally be able to go outside and enjoy the scenery.
It’s the Murphy’s Law; when the sky is blue and the sun is out; if you stay at home is by your own choosing, but as soon as it’s prohibited or impossible to go out, then you’re dying to be there, in the middle of the street, suffering a brain freezing cold and covered with all the coats, gloves and scarfs you could get your hands on.
As I didn’t attain to go outside, and I don’t watch the news to be prepared with a full refrigerator, when the night arrived and my husband came back from work, the usual “cereals and milk” dish was offered and served.
Some of us get a cranky husband, and other, like me, get a really smooth one…and I don’t mean his skin… His character!!

No comments:

Post a Comment