Facebook

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Brittle nails got me here... beauty parlors in NYC

I have this "new" (nasty) habit, of biting the sides of my fingers... I don't know when it started but it was sometime between my moving to NYC and my wedding; so roughly, a year and a half.
Adding to this, is the fact that I haven't been to a salon for a Mani/Pedi (that's what they call it here) for a long time and I tend to change my nail polish really often, so the over use of polish remover it's also an important reason that my nails started to came apart.
My husband started, really gently, to caught my hand every time it was near my mouth, in an unnoticeable way, but at the end I was reprimanded as a little kid... humiliating!
At first I had one nail (out of 20) cut in a weird shape or really short in comparison with the others... and then, one by one they cracked and now I've the hands of a 8 year old with a serious case of stage fright, giggles and nervousness; all together.
The cherry that topped the ice cream was a comment made by my husband: "I see women in the subway who have their hands nicely done all the time"
(do they cook for you? Clean? Do laundry?... have you used detergent once? do you even know what bleach is?)
I tell you, in my mind, he suffered...for a minute (or two); but then I realized that I needed to put my act together and spend some beauty money... not a difficult task, if you ever want to try it... and less difficult considering that it's your husband's salary (you know, he who made the "nail" comment in the same sentence with the word "women" in it?...the bastard...)
Where was I?
Oh, yes! money spending... So I did some research and the best way to recover my nails was getting new ones, at least that fastest way... and who knew that there were so many different techniques, you practically need to be a nail technician to get to a decision; but I'm not a quitter, so after much googling I chose to try the Acrylic ones.
When you first think of nails, you imagine a Korean place, or a Chinese one... even a Japanese, they have all the credit in the nail department; but my research drove me to an European salon; Fifi's International Salon... and a woman with French accent and heavy make-up was the one that build up my nails from scratch. As well, while at it, I did my pedicure and some eyebrow waxing... (too much information)
So when my husband got home that day, he asked: "where's my wife?"
"out to dinner" (I told him) "and she is going to be late".

and cut!!
Curtain closing, end of act 1, scene 10.
Next scene, rated: R.

Serenity Nail & Spa II Inc
717 2 Avenue, New York, NY
(212) 297-1757‎

1 comment:

  1. Blonde!
    I have found the pleasant surprise of this magnificent blog! You are amazing ... You can not imagine what I have enjoyed with each item.
    Go ahead ... Who knows if you hired as a columnist NY'Times
    A warm hug!

    ReplyDelete