Facebook

Friday, December 11, 2009

Tea time @ Serendipity with my girlfriends

Serendipity it's a Cafe/Restaurant/Tea House/Desserts Paradise where everybody must go at least one time if you're visiting the Big Apple.
Recession and this place don't get along so well; so no matter the economic condition of the country (or the world) you can always count to find Serendipity brimming with people.
It's one of those rare places that don't take reservations, so to go there we had to organize and make a plan. Have you noticed how difficult is to agree to something the easy way if you're meeting with your girlfriends? (men tend to go with the flow; but women go against it without even asking; just to rebel... I think it has to do something with our history).
First of all, we all talk at the same time so it's pretty impossible to understand what the others are saying; second, we change the subject every 2 minutes so we're completely incoherent; third we gesticulate a lot so you get dizzy; then everybody else does too; fourth; between the talking, changing the subject and gesticulating; it's pretty impossible to get anywhere... I'm impressed we even manage to arrange for a get together!
On that particular day, New York was soaking wet and my shoes were dripping, even my socks! My hair was a frizzy mess; the subway was crowded (more than usual) and like every rainy day, people get disoriented so everything runs slowly; the walking mass don't advance at the usual pace, your only option is to elbow your way head-on into the sea of people to get in time to your destination; and Serendipity doesn't wait... so there I was, clutching my bag under my arm, tightly grabbing my umbrella, arranging my scarf and elbowing... and I mean a lot!
There's something you don't know about me and it's that I'm not a patient person... I don't like to repeat myself, I can't cope with hysteria and I don't like to deal with a crowd of people in the street.
Tough for me living in this small island with so many people (1,634,000 people to be exact); one of the most densely populated areas in the world (can you imagine what this information did to my nerves??)
Tough luck!!
If you've been to Serendipity you obviously want to come back, I was like the donkey and Serendipity was the carrot, and it was a really palatable carrot!!
So after 34 SMS from the girls (we really CAN'T agree that easy, sorry humanity), 13 thousands elbowing, 55 percent drench-er, 20 percent humidity free hair (the rest 80 percent not so lucky) and 2 reschedules later; I arrived at the place 30 minutes before the arranged time to put our names on the list and have a table ready by 4 pm.
The good news is that after you're seated and enjoying yourself, the place is great, the food is incredible and the sweets are fantastic!
It's definitely worth your while!!
My only advice: don't go on a rainy day, always get 30 min before, the waiting area is non-existent so you most definitely will wait outside the door... ohhh! and no strollers. Sorry mamas!!
http://www.serendipity3.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment