Facebook

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Home sweet home… for me, my husband, our dog… and everybody else!

Visitors are really common if you live in a city like New York.
You can try to move to...let’s say, a remote island located in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean; where nobody is going to want to get a hold on you, and your family and friends will be a distant memory of people that you don’t see very often (maybe two times a year... or one, who knows?)
However, as you’re living in the Big Apple, I'm pretty sure you'll have to make a schedule, pinpoint the visits of the year in a calendar and plan for them not to overlap… it’s almost like a strategic chess game where you move your pieces to avoid total disaster!
Can you imagine what would happen if you mother came at the same time that your mother in law? (my mother in law came from a fairy tale, but she’s a rare case… or at least, that’s what I’m told… thank god for small favors).
Anyways, at this time, we have a foreign visitor staying at home…and sightseeing is another thing that you have to consider when you receive a guest; because I can assure you that no matter how many times you’ve been to the Rockefeller Center, or up the Empire State, or hop on the Ferry to the Statue of Liberty, or walked the 5th avenue and visit Central Park or go inside Saint Patrick to light a candle and ask for forgiveness and a job (I hold the record for candles offered in that department)… I’m a hundred percent sure that you’ll do it over and over again for your remaining time as a New York resident.
As you’ve confirmed in other posts, my lack of patience (or the nonexistence of it) is a key element in my day to day basis as a host… I’ve been put to the test in this one, and I keep failing no matter my persistence. I get anxious when I have to wait in line to pay for something and there’s always this guy in front of me that can’t grab the 25 ¢ coin that’s stuck in the bottom corner of his wallet, and you just want to snatch the thing from his hands and throw the coin at him (I have a really vivid imagination)... didn't this guy hear about Debit Card? or for example, when you have to go shopping to Macy’s, because everybody has to go there, and your advises are: “perfect, if I were you, I’ll take it!” … but at the same time, my insides are turning and I just want them to make a swift decision and get the hell out from there! (If you give me online shopping, I’m happy as a clam).
So yesterday, for the hundredth time I took my picture in the Rockefeller Plaza, with a smile sticked to my face and an invisible tag in my forehead that said: PLEASE GET ME OUT OF HERE!!

...and click... nice pic!

http://www.rockefellercenter.com
http://www.macys.com
http://www.centralparknyc.org
http://www.saintpatrickscathedral.org

No comments:

Post a Comment