Facebook

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Family reunions and their awkward moments... nothing can save me from this one!

Yesterday we celebrated my father´s birthday… differently to a family reunion in other countries, every time we get together we have a huge barbecue (asado is the word we use) and lots of wine. We also have music (the really loud type) but you don´t get a police visit sent by a grumpy neighbor no matter the volume level and no matter the time… at least, not if it´s a weekend.
As a visitor in your home country, you get asked the same questions over and over again: “how´s your life in NY going?”, “did you get a job yet?”, “is it cold there?” “What do you do every day? (AKA: do you have a job?)”, “have you visited other cities?”, “how´s the economic situation there? Still slow? (AKA: how´s the job hunting?)”… Do you get my picture? It´s an impossible task to be unemployed while living in the USA; everybody is expecting for you to have this perfect life or at least, to be succeeding in the professional and employment department... I feel like Legally Blonde but instead of Harvard as my play field, USA is the conquering country and not even a tough back bone (the one that survived the 15 hours flight) can help me!
But my family is very supportive, and even thou they´re like 52 people bugging me about everything, I know they mean well… sometimes, you have to conceal (i.e. lie like your life depends on it!!) not to be pushed in a specific matter; and news travel really fast with them, so my acrylic nails, my blog, the book I´m reading, my dog´s temporary home, my Bach flowers and my new life coach are knowingly matters… hence, frequently questioned about.
Today´s a different day with different visitors, however, we´re still eating asado, as tomorrow, and the day after… and the day after… and so on.
Goodbye healthy, balanced, life… Hello uric acid!!

No comments:

Post a Comment